The Niagara Ice Dogs reverted back their uneven play with a 1-1-0-1 record this past week. Thursday featured an easy 7-2 victory over the hapless Erie Otters, losers of 10 in a row coming into the game. Andrew Aggozino paced the Ice Dogs with a natural hat-trick while Mark Visentin garnered the victory in net. Highlights are here:
On Saturday the Ice Dogs were visited by an old nemesis: the shootout. Losers of both shootouts this year, the misery was extended with a 4-3 loss to Barrie via the gimmicky showdown. The Ice Dogs held a 3-1 lead on Barrie, but could not hold onto the advantage, giving up two goals in the middle stanza.
Sunday, the Ice Dogs made their second unsuccessful trip to the Bunker in Brampton. The last time the Ice Dogs played the Battalion in Brampton the result was an uneven 6-4 loss. This tilt resulted in a 3-0 shutout, the first time the Dogs had been blanked all year. The Ice Dogs face Peterborough and Mississauga on the road Thursday and Friday before returning home to face Kingston on Saturday.
1. Monday December 5th will mark the most important day in Niagara Ice Dog franchise history. Council is set to vote on proposals on a new entertainment facility for St Catharines. While informal media polls have support running at 70% or above, the real decision lies with the politicians, and there are view points on both sides. What a crying shame it would be if the politicians did not back this proposal and the Ice Dogs left town. Owners Bill and Denise Burke, along with the fans have been very very patient with the antiquated Jack Gatecliffe arena up to this point.
2. Four Ice Dogs head to World Jr Camps on Saturday, and will miss some of the OHL schedule. There is a good chance that all could crack the squad, so the brass ring will be available for those Dogs left behind to grab.
3. I'm tiring of people using words like "redemption" for Mark Visentin as he tries out for Team Canada. Redemption for what? Visentin is a 1st round NHL draft pick and was the OHL goalie of the year. I think he's been "redeemed" don't ya think?
1. Had a chance to call my first OUA basketball doubleheader of the year on Friday at McMaster U for Cable 14 sports. There was a victorious air as the Vanier Cup and some of the Marauder football team were in attendance. It was great to be back calling basketball and great to see student support at its finest.
2. Must be said. My Miami Dolphins, author of 4 wins in 5 (only loss was a 1 pointer to Dallas), by all rights could be 8-4. Three losses were on the last play, or in the last minute (Cleveland, Denver, Dallas) and one was a blown 4th quarter lead vs the Giants. Only other somewhat decisive losses were to New England, San Diego, the New York Jets and Houston.
3. I watched the Survivor Series, and man did The Rock look good. Now whether or not the WWE Wellness Policy applied to the Most Electrifying Man in Entertainment is another thing..
Keep pushing the rock up the hill!