Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

THE MADNESS OF THE OHL TRADE DEADLINE

Got a New Years resolution or two:   Shorter blog posts, and more gratuitous self-promotion are in for 2013.  It will hopefully lead to more frequent posts, as I fell off the map a little bit in December.  

For the IceDogs and their big three of Strome, Ritchie and Dougie Hamilton, I will stand by my thoughts in my last blog found HERE .  The Dogs have added St Catharine's native Jordan Maletta from Windsor and Mitchell Fitzmorris from Kingston so far, and have yet to move any significant assets yet.  If any of the big three are dealt, the term "conditional" will be added as all three are headed for NHL camps. 

On the whole, I wish that the OHL would limit the trading of high school aged players during the school year. It can't be easy picking up stakes and moving school in the middle of the school year for any reason, let alone hockey.  That said, it is part of the business, and I do not begrudge any GM from the making the necessary moves to improve their team either presently or in the future.  Plus I expect the players love hearing their names in the Hot Stove Lounge.  

Looks like the early winners so far are Owen Sound and Kitchener. Both added stud D men (Owen Sound- Cody Ceci, Kitchener- Frank Corrado).  Both teams are taking dead aim at the London Knights who are the unquestioned top dogs in the OHL.  Belleville added bruising winger Tyler Graovac to their line-up for the stretch run as well, as the Ottawa 67's are holding a bit of a fire sale. 

OTHER NOTES: 
-- The NHL returned to a very mixed reaction.  Some fans are apathetic, others vow a protest of some sort, and yet others are thrilled. Call me the latter.  I'm a hockey guy at heart and glad to see some NHL hockey this year, if only for the OHL guys who can get achieve their dream.  I'm also happy for the ancillary businesses, and team employees who are back to work now!

--Call me a broadcasting geek, but I'm interested in seeing Hockey Night in Canada, TSN, and Sportsnet's broadcast schedule.   Fans are going to get their fill of hockey on TV for sure.  One question:  Will Bob Cole return for another season in the booth?  

--IceDogs take on the re-tooled Owen Sound Attack on Thursday at The Jack . TV Cogeco in HD and the OHL Action Pack will broadcast.  Ed, Al and I will have the call.

-I will also be court side at McMaster on Saturday calling MAC/Western in a hoops doubleheader on Hamilton's Cable 14. The game will be taped for later that day. 

--Gratuitous plug:  go to http://www.facebook.com/SteveClarkSportsBroadcaster and hit "Like" I will be posting broadcasting content and updates.  Look for IceDog highlights there too!

Steve Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment